Skip to main content

"A Treatise of the Big Lakes Box Company, Squaw Flat Logging Operations from 1917 to 1951" by Harry C. Mesner

 Collection
Identifier: SHL108

Content Description

Treatise written by Donald C. Mesner in September 2012; amended and revised in November 2014.

Dates

  • 2014

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Big Lakes Box Company was organized by Merle West, Burge Mason, and A. J. Voye in 1917. It was one of the largest retail lumber businesses in the area. The Company purchased lumber yard property on South 6th Street, near where the Klamath Falls Street Department’s maintenance building is now located and converted it to a box factory. In 1920, the Company built a sawmill along Lake Ewauna. The Company also operated a sawmill in Canby, California, from 1937 until 1942. This operation relied heavily on the railroads, which trucks began to replace, making this the last such operation by the Company. Big Lakes Box Company ceased all operations in 1946. In 1947, the mill at Klamath Falls was closed and dismantled.

Squaw Valley Logging company leased equipment from Big Lakes Box Company because of the heavy demand for lumber from World War II. They operated in many of the same locations that Big Lakes Box Company did, until they too ceased operation in 1950.

Extent

1 item (Comb-bound book, 6 pages and 19 illustrations)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Big Lakes Box Company was organized by Merle West, Burge Mason, and A. J. Voye in 1917. It was one of the largest retail lumber businesses in the area. Squaw Valley Logging company leased equipment from Big Lakes Box Company because of the heavy demand for lumber from World War II. Collection contains treatise written by Donald C. Mesner in September 2012; amended and revised in November 2014.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries, Shaw Historical Library Repository

Contact:
3201 Campus Drive
Klamath Falls OR 97603 United States
5418851965